Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Wild Trip to the Dog Park


It was pretty obvious that most of the dogs at the dog park today had been cooped up for a while. Everywhere I looked there were dogs spinning and chasing and running full-throttle. It was definitely a good day for getting your knees knocked out from under you. The humans, clad in rain gear, hoods up due to a sudden shower, were clearly taking their lives into their own hands. I made my way over to stand in front of a bench, figuring I'd at least protect my back side from a careening pack.

The dogs didn't mind the rain a bit. All the better to cool you off when you're running at full-throttle, I guess. And they probably think that "wet dog smell" gives them an air of sophistication.

After a short bit the clouds parted and the sun broke through in all its glory. I'm not exaggerating when I say within 2 minutes a new bunch of cars arrived at the parking lot. The humans looked a lot like me unloading the dogs from the car...desperately trying to control their overly-eager, cabin-feverish canines. We nodded at each other, knowingly. There is a sunbreak, and after days of constant drizzle, we'll take what we can get.

Epilogue to the star-spangled fire hydrant controversy: it's back. With a fence around it. The dogs don't seem to mind. And I found the fence to be another nice place to protect one's backside and knees while watching the careening dogs.
Photo: Associated Press - obviously taken before the fence was installed. But I think the same group of dogs were there today...

No comments: