Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Joys of Fainting

This has nothing to do with scruffy dogs, but it was an interesting experience, so I felt like sharing...

Like Baxter, I have a wonderful doctor. An MD who actually does more holistic practices than your average AMA type. Part of that practice involves doing a very thorough, fasting blood work-up. This morning, after 14 foodless hours (I couldn't miss the end of the Tour...poor Floyd), Mr. Phlebotomist couldn't quite find the vein (it felt like the needle went up to my shoulder) and when he did, he (oh-so-slowly) sucked out five (yes five) vials of blood.

After about three vials the room was starting to spin. I mentioned it. He said "hang on." Another vial, I started feeling my body relax and my mind was sliding into a peaceful place. "One more, just hang on...Hey Dave, this one's gonna pass out!" Dave (or whatever his name was, I barely knew he was there) arrived with a small packet of ammonia-laden stuff that yanked me out of my bliss immediately and kept me that way long enough for them to help me lay down without hurting myself (I could have made it to the floor, but they didn't want any accidents). I mustered the words "Oh, how embarrassing..." and the floor felt so, so good as I melted into it. I remember saying, "I hope you got enough blood out of my arm, because there sure isn't any left in my head."

The lights didn't totally go out (I can still smell the ammonia), but I was probably closer than I've ever been to actually passing out. If it weren't for the fall, fainting wouldn't be so bad. Quite blissful and painless, actually. As opposed to the blood-letting. He got all five vials. High five. So glad that's over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»